Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Historical district name confusion in Ubon Ratchathani

When I was adding references to the Wikipedia article on the district Khueang Nai, I noticed that it was historically named Trakan Phuet Phon, I took a look at the article on that district to check why the two had the same name. One historical name of it then made me check in detail - I just recently learned that Prachin is the Pali word for west, but Trakan Phuet Phon is in the east of Ubon Ratchathani. So looking at all the name changes of the two districts showed the problem.
  • 1913 - Prachun Ubon (ปจิมอุบล) renamed to Trakan Phuet Phon (ตระการพืชผล) [Gazette]
  • 1917 - Trakan Phuet Phon (ตระการพืชผล) renamed to Khueang Nai (เขื่องใน) and Phana Nikhom (พนานิคม) to Khulu (ขุหลุ) [Gazette]
  • 1939 - Khulu (ขุหลุ) to Phana Nikhom (พนานิคม) [Gazette]
  • 1940 - Phana Nikhom (พนานิคม) to Trakan Phuet Phon (ตระการพืชผล) [Gazette]
So in fact I misidentified the 1913 renamed to be about the present day Trakan Phuet Phon, instead of belonging to Khueang Nai as it should. To my shame this wrong information stayed unchallenged in the article for two years.

No comments: