Thursday, September 8, 2016

RIP Gwillim Law

Gwillim Law, the author of the incredible website statoids.com, has passed away recently. I was lucky to be able to get a used copy of his book "Administrative Subdivisions of Countries" when I started writing in Wikipedia on these, and later his website became a great resource to find up-to-date information. With time, I was able to get into the Thai subdivision to a much deeper degree and getting access to the primary sources, so for example for the 2010 census I was able to provide him with data as a way to return the favor.

His daughter Shirley has taken over the enormous task of keeping his website running - knowing how much time I spend on just a single country, covering the whole world down to the second level subdivisions must be a full time work. I only hope she can keep up the heritage of her father, and of course whenever there are any changes in Thailand to be included I will notify her same as I did before with him.

No comments: